About our Chairman
Prof. Shivajirao Kadam was born in a small village, realizing the significance of education for the transformation of an individual’s life, the parents of Prof. Dr. Kadam put a great deal of emphasis on his education. Dr. Shivajirao Kadam began life under extremely adverse circumstances and yet he rose to a position of pre-eminence in the field of education. Large volumes have been written about his illustrious journey. We are fortunate to be under his benevolent guidance.
Dr. Kadam started his career as a lecturer in Bharati Vidyapeeth’s Yashwantrao Mohite College of Arts, Science and Commerce, after that he was appointed as the Principal of newly started Poona College of Pharmacy (Pune), which was then the first College of Pharmacy established within the jurisdiction of University of Pune. Dr. Kadam worked as the Principal of this College for the next 27 years till he became the Vice Chancellor of Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University, Pune in 2006. Under the visionary leadership of Dr. Kadam, the Poona College of Pharmacy made splendid strides in the areas of pharmacy education and research within a short time. This College subsequently became one of the leading pharmacy colleges in India. During his regime as the Principal, PG programs and subsequently Ph.D. programs in Pharmacy were launched in this College. He provided stimulus to the college faculty to undertake research projects of international standard. As a result, the college faculty has got 25 patents for their research projects and procedures. He is also credited with taking initiative and active interest in the area of Pharmacy at University of Pune, which led to the Establishment of Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Pune, the first of its kind to the State of Maharashtra.
Having a genuine interest and zest for research, Dr. Kadam worked very hard to stimulate the research impulse of his colleagues. Many of them soon obtained research degrees and did substantive research, making this College known as a throbbing centre of pharmacy research. A large number of alumni of this College have occupied very important positions as members of teaching faculties, research scientists, pharmaceutical entrepreneurs, etc.
Prof. Kadam has been involved in several leadership and administrative positions, which are a testament to his institution building abilities. His vast Administrative Experience includes his role as:-
- Chancellor, Bharati Vidyapeeth (Deemed to be University) Pune :15 June 2018 to Present
- Pro-Chancellor, Bharati Vidyapeeth University Pune :1 June 2017 to 14 June 2018
- Vice-Chancellor, Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University, Pune :5th Dec 2006 to 31st May
- Pro Vice-Chancellor, Bharati Vidyapeeth University, Pune :11 Years since (1996 to 2006)
- Secretary, Bharati Vidyapeeth University, Pune :(2000 to 2006)
- Principal, Poona College of Pharmacy : 27 Years (1979-2006)
Dr. Kadam has been an active member and contributor to various Professional and Government bodies at National and International Levels. He has been a part of several illustrious and influential committees of the Government. He was a Member of the University Grants Commission, New Delhi for 6 years. He was a distinguished Member of the Pharmacy Council of India for 10 years where he has introduced ground breaking changes in the arena of India’s Pharmacy education. He was also a Member in the Governing Council of National Accreditation and Assessment Council (NAAC), Bangalore. He has contributed significantly as a Member of Finance Committees of both the UGC and NAAC. Besides, Dr. Kadam was a prominent member in various authorities of Pune University. He was a member of the University’s Executive Council, Academic Council and also of the Senate and Faculty of Pharmacy. It was with his initiative and efforts that a separate Faculty of Pharmacy was introduced in Pune University. It is considered as his significant achievement. He was also a member of the Standing Committee of University of Pune.
Dr. Kadam was associated with Maharashtra State Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education, Pune. He has been also nominated by the University Grants Commission as Representative on the Boards of Management of several reputed institutions of higher education in India, viz., Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai, Kalinga Institute of Industrial technology (KIIT), Bhuvaneshwar, Govt. College of Engineering, Karad, Walchand College of Engineering, Sangli, etc. He also was on the Advisory Committees of Jaypee Institute of Information Technology, Noida and Karunya University, Coimbatore.
Here’s a brief list of his Associations:-
- Dean, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Pune : 09 Years
- Member, University Grants Commission, New Delhi : 6 years (Two Tenures) (2005-2011)
- Member, Governing Council, National Accreditation and Assessment Council (NAAC), Bangalore
- Member, Pharmacy Council of India : 10 years (2003-2013)
- Chairman,Bharati Sahakari Bank (Multi State Scheduled Bank) (5 Years)
- Chairman, Mahatma Gandhi Rugnalaya Charitable Hospital, Pune (From 1985 till date)
- Member, Executive Council/Management Council, University of Pune: 14 Years
- Member, Academic Council, University of Pune: 14 Years
- Member, Board of College & University Development, University of Pune: 10 Years
- Member, Senate, University of Pune: 16 Years
- Chairman, Board of Studies in Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Pune: 13 Years
- Chairman, Statutes Committee, University of Pune: 06 years
- Chairman, Standing Committee, University of Pune: 06 Years
- Member, Board of Management, Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai
- Member, Board of Management, Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology (KIIT), Bhuvaneshwar
- Member, Advisory Committee, Jaypee Institute of Information Technology, Noida
- Member, Advisory Committee, Karunya University, Coimbatore
- Chairman, Search committees for selection of Vice-Chancellors for various Universities.
Awards, Honours, Distinctions Received by Prof. Kadam
- Received Bar Council of India “Golden Jubilee Special Award” on 16th February 2013 at Vigyan Bhavan New Delhi, for his invaluable contribution in the field of Higher Education in General and Legal Education in particular. Dr. Manmohan Singh, the Prime Minister of India was the Chief Guest and inaugurated the event. The celebrations witnessed the gracious presence of Hon’ble Dr. Ashwin Kumar, Union Minister of Law and Justice, Hon’ble G.Vahanvati, Attorney General of India and Shri Mannan Kumar Mishra, Chairman Bar Council of India. Hon’ble Mr.Justice Altamas Kabir, the Chief Justice of India presided over the function.
- Received a National Award at the hands of Smt.Pratibhatai Patil, then President of India, given in recognition of his contributions to the maintenance of the highest standards of higher education.
- “Best Teacher Award” Government of Maharashtra, January 2001.
- “Eminent Educationist, Administrator, Philanthropist and Researchist Award” (First Award) given by the Association of Pharmaceutical Teachers of India, Bangalore (2006) e) “Best Teacher Award” Government of Maharashtra, January 2001.
- “Pharmacy Educator of Distinction” Award, given by the Indian Pharmaceutical Association (2001).
- “Best Teacher Award” of Pune Municipal Corporation, 1993.
- “Samaj Bhushan Puraskar – 2012”
Publications by Prof. Kadam:
- Physical Pharmacy. (Published by Orient and Longman, Delhi.)
- Medicinal Chemistry,
- Principles of Medicinal Chemistry
- Maharashtra Universities Act, 1994
b) Research Papers: Authored and published as many as 175 research papers in reputed international and national journals.
Major Conferences/ Symposia Organized by Prof. Kadam
- Indian Pharmaceutical Congress, 2004 (Attended by 6000 delegates)
- All India Vice Chancellors Conference (2010)
- 94th Annual Conference of Indian Economic Association (2011)
- International conference on Nano Science and Technology in 2010 & 2012.
As a person, Dr. Kadam is very genial by nature. He has always been ready to help nature. He has a very wide circle of friends, well-wishers and followers. Among them are professionals of repute, social workers, artists, literary persons and others. He would never say no to give help to any deserving person or a cause. He is very closely associated with several philanthropic, social work, literary and other organizations. Through his innumerable achievements and contributions to society and education, Dr Shivajirao Kadam has reached such heights of eminence that mere words or articles are not enough to justify his work.